Is 37 too old to be able to run a full mile without stopping and also learn to swim?

Hello people, sorry for my stupid question but was hoping that someone could shed some light on my problems and struggles. First I'll tell you my body type then a little about what I'm wanting to do.I'm a 37 year old white male, 5 foot 10 at 150 pounds fully clothed! I've been at 150 for nearly 20 years so yeah I'm a small guy that can't gain weight if I wanted to! Ok so for a few weeks now I've been running everyday on my old middle school track. I drink lots of water and stretch out good before and after I run but at best I can only jog one lap before my body is killed! My chest gets so tight I can't breath and feels like my heart is going to explode out of my chest! So one lap is my max and I'm not improving at all! I can complete one mile = 4 laps when I jog the straights and walk the curves but that's it that is all my body has in it to give and it really upsets me!!!!Ok now as for the swimming part that is something I have struggled with my whole life! I have tried on and off to learn how to swim since the early 80s! Yes you read right the EARLY 80s!!!! And I cannot freaken do it at all if my life depended on it!!!! I sink like I'm made of rock no matter what I do!!!! I can't even start to float even when I take in every ounce of air I can I will still sink right to the bottom and can lay flat on the bottom of the pool! I can hold my breath for two full minutes and on a good day two and a half, I have practiced that for sometime. But I do want to make changes in my life I'm tired of being the small skinny non athletic guy that can't even get a date because no woman ever finds me physically attractive enough!!!! I want to start a new road towards an all new me! I want some muscle definition some upper body bulk be able to run a full mile and be able to freaken swim like everyone else I know!!!! And to be able to take part in and enjoy summer activities in and around the water and get over this fear of the water I've had to live with for all my life because I can't swim and would drown right away if I was to ever get in it!!!! Anyway if anyone has any tips, advice or ideaa please tell me ok? Or would you say I'm just to old and by genetics not athletic enough to physically ever be able to do any of this????

How to Lose Weight With Insulin Resistance

Recommended Answer:

any heathy adult should be able to jog more than 400 meters. what you are saying about your heart is a big red flag you should see a dr because im worried that you have a serious heart problem the symptoms you discrived sound like a heart attack you should see an md not yahoo answers

Other Answers:

  • Getting ready for a hunting trip to the mountains I started running and walking 2 miles 5 days a week . I would run till I was tired and walked till I could catch my breath, then take off running again . I would finish the 2 miles every time . At first it was lots of walking and a little running . Before it was over I could run the full 2 miles . It took a very long time . The rabbits got so use to me that they just hopped out of the trail when they saw me coming .As for swimming I was taught to swim by living my face in the water and holding my breath till I got the stroke down a little . Then I learned to turn my body and face to take a breath . Good luck and good for you .
  • Ok so if you can only go 1 lap today push your self to go maybe 200 feet more each day as for the swimming I highly suggest a local masters program they have all levels of swimmers don't feel intimidated to join and watch how fast you improve even if you go just three days a week.
  • I'm closer to 50 than 40 and I can run much more than a mile (though I don't enjoy running) and I can swim several miles, and there are folks on my master's swim team who are double my age... so age isn't the factor here. Firstly, you should go to a doctor and have a physical before you embark on an exercize program. Tell your doctor your experience with running and have them run tests to make sure your heart and lungs are in good order.Once you get the go ahead.. yes.. when I start running I usually start with an easy 3.5 miles and my lungs hurt like crazy and my heart is pumping and I feel miserable.. and despite that, I keep running and sometimes I just feel like I'm going to throw up. The next day I feel pretty miserable too, but just a little less miserable..and it goes on like that until it becomes not so miserable and borders on enjoyable. I'm not a runner and have never grown to "love" running... but if you keep at it you will get in shape.. but it might be that running isn't for you out the gate. Maybe you want to start indoor cardio workouts on a treadmill or an elliptical. In terms of swimming, go to a YMCA and enroll in some one-on-one swim lessons with a good instructor. Your fear is probably making you rigid in the water and you're less able to get your body into positions where you can relax and float. A good instructor can work with you in relatively shallow water, teach you techniques, build your confidence and get you water safe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment