How can I lose weight without going to the gym?

It''s winter and I can''t go running and my fitness center is closed for the next few weeks.
I eat very healthy and track all my food to make sure I don''t go over my calories.
What workouts can I do inside to help me lose 10-15 pounds.
I''m 5''3 140 pounds and I''m 21.

The Problem With Losing Weight

Recommended Answer:
What about Yoga, Pilates, Aerobics or Zumba dvd''s at home?

  • If it''s not winter i would suggest: Fasting
  • Do regular yoga, it is long lasting.
  • I have a stationary bike with moving handles, to work out arms and then watch TV and before you know it you have your time in.
    I tried weight watchers and still use the plan somewhat. But found the best way to loose weight was I allow 500 calories before noon, noon and after 500 more and then after 5 til I go to bed 500 more.
    1500 Calories supports about 125 pounds.
    I also have a exercise video for beginners I am not able to do more than that. For some reason dancing doesn''t seem like exercise. One friend joined a dance class to learn to dance and lost a lot of weight.
  • Women do not really need a gym to lose 15 pounds of body fat.
    Men need a gym to use gym weight machines to GAIN 15 pounds of muscle mass on their way to a six-pack and prominent pecs, biceps, triceps, deltoids, quads, gluteus…


    I hope you’re not running even when it’s not winter.
    Hopefully you’re not even walking/jogging.
    You can power walk (always keeping one foot on the ground).
    Above 130lbs, you cannot walk/jog nor do any other high impact exercises as you have to mind your joints (ankles, knees, hips).
    If both your feet are off the ground at any point (like when jogging), one of your knees has to handle TWICE your body weight on impact.
    For you, that would be 280lbs of one little knee joint, ouch!
    An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
    At 140lbs/5’3, you’re borderline overweight (25BMI) at 24.8BMI.
    You’d be “officially” in the overweight category at 141lbs so do not jog.

    I weigh 120/125lbs and once I went up 130lbs and started feeling the pressure on my knees while jogging so I switched to power walking.
    I have very good strong big knees…because I always made sure to keep it that way.
    In the long run (can take years), I would damage my strong knees if I would put more than 250lbs of pressure on them.

    I don’t get your “It’s winter and I can’t go running”.
    Can you walk outside?
    Buddle up and wear layers if it’s cold.
    If you have snow…go skiing.
    Cross-country skiing on flat terrain.



    If you eat very healthy, you track your calorie intake to make sure that you’re eating enough to cover your BMR so you don’t send your metabolism down the drain.
    You cannot “go over your calories” if you eat healthy.
    Your BMR is 1,460 calories (female, 21yo, 5’3 and 140lbs).

    It’s not like a steamed cup of broccoli (50 calories) is going to make you “go over your calories”, even if you add a carrot (20 calories) and a serving of salmon (150 calories)…use a steamer.
    Then you can have 6oz (a bowl) or your homemade fruit salad (80 calories).
    Now you get a 300 calories tasty fulfilling healthy dinner unlike those 300 calories unfulfilling frozen commercial ones with ridiculous names like “Healthy Choice” or “Lean Cuisine”…right!
    More like “Still hungry after eating some defrosted commercial whatever this is supposed to taste like, and please, go easy on the artificial cheese flavor as it is burning my tongue!”

    If you used fresh broccolis (that taste like broccoli, not frozen ones), and an unprocessed carrot (not the dreadful baby-cut ones), and fresh salmon fillet and a steamer, you’ll get a good meal. And a bowl (6oz) of homemade fruit salad with your favorite fruits (6oz) is much more fulfilling and satisfying than any of those 80 calories commercial processed cups using conservatives.

    NOW you get a problem…as 300 calories dinner is probably not enough to reach your calorie quota (that is why you track calories, to make sure you eat enough, not to make sure you don’t eat too much) so you have to use snacks, like if you snack on half an avocado (great source of healthy fats) with vinaigrette, you’d get 150 calories from the half avocado and adding one Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (another great source of healthy fats, 120 calories), you’d get a total of 270 calories intake.
    Men would need 2 of those, as they need 2 Tbsp of olive oil/day, so they can eat half an avocado for a mid-morning snack and the other half for a mid-afternoon one.

    So a 270 calories snack and a 300 calorie dinner = 570 calories so you still have to come up with almost 900 calories (to reach your 1,460 BMR) for your breakfast and lunch so you might have to have another snack or drink a lot of milk (almost 150 calories per glass if it’s whole) or a handful of nuts (around 150 calories for an ounce).



    Because you have a gym does not mean that you cannot have a stationary bike at home and burn 800 calories in two hours at a 12.5mph leisure speed (I burn 32 calories per mile biking) and it’s never boring because you’re safely sitting (not biking in traffic and wearing a helmet) and can zone out while watching TV or reading. Get a bike with moving handles so you also get an upper body workout and your arms can help when your legs get tired. Get an expensive, sturdy, silent, good quality bike that will last you a lifetime (not some cheap light crappy exercise bike made in China that will break or malfunction in a few years).

    If you need to lose 10-15lbs, that is 35,000 to 52,500 calories of exercising.
    Each pound of body fat is 3,500 calories.
    I would need to bike for 109 miles to burn one pound of body fat (32 calories per mile biking).
    2 hours/25 miles/800 calories at a time.
    I would need to walk/jog for 50 miles to burn one pound of body fat (I burn 70 calories per mile walking/jogging).

    (End of my answer coming up next...)
  • (End of my answer...)

    Get the right expectations, like half a pound of body fat loss/week…1,750 calories of exercising (like 350/day, 5 days/week with 2 rest days).
    Not total body weight on a scale as you need to GAIN heavy muscle mass while getting in shape.

    Do calisthenics at home (using your own body as weight) like when doing pushups, lunges, squats, crunches, heel raises…and get some small free weights for other exercises so you can gain muscle mass, rev up your metabolism and get strength to improve all your aerobics (you don’t need a gym for those).

    I have a good gym but I never use the fitness center there…too many distractions and I cannot concentrate on good form (aerobic machines and gym weight machines) while smelling nasty days old sweat (sweat is like pee…does not smell so bad fresh but the next day…eeww), I only use the aquatic center (Olympic size heated pool, whirlpool, sauna…).

    Aim for 20 to 30 weeks (or longer which is better to keep the weight off in the long run) to lose 10 to 15 pounds of body fat (5 to 7 months).
    I lost 10 pounds of body fat in 7 months once (never had to do it twice)…never regained those as I did it slowly enough to be among the pride 5% of successful losers.

    Get rid of your scale, unless you know how to differentiate between body fat gain/loss, muscle mass gain/loss and huge water/food/waste weight fluctuations and weigh yourself every day (after waking up, after peeing, naked, before breakfast…) but only do monthly assessment so water/food/waste weight fluctuations become irrelevant as you always have to stabilize.
    You can use your body weight as some additional data, along with body measurements, caloric intake/expenditure…
    Use a tape measure as you should not lose total body weight when you’re getting in shape and gaining muscle mass.
    You can maintain your weight for 3 to 6 months while getting in shape if you do aerobics to lose body fat while gaining muscle mass, so you get thinner, toner and stronger…but not lighter (as that would be a sign that you’re eating under your BMR and getting a lower metabolism as your body would adapt to lower caloric intake).

0 comments:

Post a Comment